Quick Links

Useful Links

Evington Valley Primary School

Special Educational Needs & Disability (SEND)

Frequently Asked Questions

Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is Mr David Curran

At Evington Valley, we will help your child achieve the very best they can at school.  This includes children who may need some additional support or help for some or all of their time at our school.

This information is to inform you of the types of support available and will help you understand who can help and how this support can be accessed.
The changes in the Children and Families Bill affect the way children with special educational needs & disability (SEND) are supported in schools. The new approach began in September 2014 and places pupils at the centre of planning. The key principles of the legislation are:

1. Young people and their families should be involved in discussions about the support they need, so they can share their knowledge and feed back to the school on the young person's progress.

2. Education, health and care plans (EHCP) will replace statements of special educational needs. New assessments for additional educational needs will follow the EHCP guidelines from September 2014. (Existing statements will remain in force until all children and young people have completed the transition, which will be within three years).

3. School Action and School Action Plus will cease and be replaced by a single school-based category for children who need extra specialist support.

How will the school know if children need extra help?

Concerns can range from learning difficulties, language and communication difficulties, sensory impairment and medical problems to emotional, social and mental health issues. Some children may be working below age expected levels in Literacy and Numeracy which would indicate extra support may be needed. Some children may have specific learning difficulties e.g. Dyslexia. Children may also have low scores on standardized tests e.g. reading/spelling age. It is important to remember that slow progress and low attainment does not necessarily mean that a child has special educational needs. However, it may be an indicator of a range of learning difficulties or disabilities. Equally it should not be assumed that attainment in line with age expected levels means that there is no learning difficulty or disability Information passed from a child's previous school may indicate that a child has a difficulty and support will need to be continued.

  • Reports received from e.g. doctors, educational psychologists, a special needs teaching service and speech and language therapists may recommend specific support.
  • We always take into account information given by parents
  • We listen to concerns expressed by the child.
  • Teachers will fill in an Initial Concerns Form for any child they are worried about which will be discussed with parents and the Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Co-ordinator. Appropriate next steps for the child will be planned for and parents are actively encouraged to be involved in the decision making process.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

Talk to your child's class teacher about any concerns you may have. The class teacher will discuss these with the SEND Co-ordinator. Alternatively, you can arrange to meet with the SEND Co-ordinator directly.

What will happen if my child is identified as having special educational needs?

Once it has been agreed that a child has additional needs, you will be informed and they will be placed on the Special Educational Needs Register under the category of SEND Support. They may receive extra support or intervention if this is felt appropriate. Your child will receive 3 reviews each year whilst they are on the SEND Register. If they continue to make slow progress or have ongoing problems then the school may ask for advice from outside agencies. A small number of children may go on to have an EHCP - these are for the most complex children that have significant and ongoing needs. If a child has an EHCP then they will also have an additional annual review and the plan can stay with them up to the age of 25 if it is deemed necessary. These children will also receive a review in the Autumn term of Year 6 to discuss transition to an appropriate secondary school.

How will the school support my child?

At Evington Valley, we are mindful of, and comply with, the LA Expectations of Schools, which outlines the key ways pupils should be supported in class.
The following document shows the full range of specific targeted support we give identified pupils to address their additional needs. All interventions and approaches in this document have been shown to have a positive impact on pupils' learning
You may also find it useful to refer to Leicester City's Local Offer (see link below) to make yourself aware of services provided by the local authority. 

Leicester City Local Offer

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

Different interventions and approaches are used to address specific areas and we look carefully at your child's individual needs when deciding how best to support your child and which interventions to use.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?

Teachers are responsible and accountable for the progress and development of all pupils in their class. Lessons are differentiated to match each child's needs. Teachers will make reasonable adjustments to the curriculum to meet individual need. At Evington Valley, we have a well-designed curriculum with strong teaching and learning.

How will both you and I know how my child is doing?

Teachers make on-going assessments for all children, lesson by lesson and over a series of lessons. This information informs planning. Children receiving interventions will have their progress tracked throughout the time they are receiving the support. For children on the SEND Register, there will be 3 reviews over the year. Your child's progress will be discussed, including any interventions they have received. However, please feel free to ask your child's class teacher how your child is doing. All children will receive an end of year report that will inform you of your child's progress throughout the year.

How will the school help me to support my child's learning?

Children on the SEND Register will be given outcome targets and, at each review, advice will be given on how you can help your child achieve these. At any point during your child's time at Evington Valley, you can talk to your child's class teacher about what support you can give.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

There are a variety of services and expertise that we can access:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Complex Learning , Communication and Interaction Support Service (also Early Years Special Needs Teaching Service)
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Support Team
  • Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)
  • Visual Impairment Team
  • Hearing Impairment Support
  • Physiotherapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Family Support (through The Children's Centre)

What training have staff had in supporting children will special educational needs?

Our SENDCo, Mr Curran, holds the National SENCO Award. 

  • Autism
  • Mental Health
  • Team Teach
  • Behaviour Strategies
  • ADHD
  • Dyslexia
  • Speech, Language and Communication difficulties
  • First Aid
  • Diabetes Training

How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom including school trips?

Every child, regardless of special educational needs, has the opportunity to take part in activities outside of the classroom, including trips and after school clubs.

How accessible is the school environment?

The school is on one level, all without stairs. We have a medical room, changing facilities and disabled toilets. Our Accessibility Plan outlines what we are doing to increase the extent to which pupils with disabilities can participate in our curriculum,  improve the physical environment to  support those with disabilities and ways in which we can make information sharing accessible to all.  

How will the school prepare and support my child to transfer to the next stage of education?

All secondary schools have transition days where your child be offered the opportunity to spend time at their new school. We liaise closely with the new school setting to ensure they are aware of any individual's needs and all records are passed on to the new school. If a child transfers to a new school mid-year, all records are passed on.

Who can I contact for further information regarding special educational needs issues including how many children are on the SEN register?

Please contact Mr D. Curran (SEN Co-ordinator)